Sunday, July 27, 2008

God - Him or Her?

When Jesus called me back to Him (and I finally started listening), my world view was decidedly feminist. I daren't go into all the details about my spiritual perspective, except to say that I was totally OK worshipping the Great Goddess (and everything that comes along with that).

The striking thing about my transition to where I am now, is the gentle way Jesus (LOVE HIM!) called me to Him. I never once felt that I was not "allowed" to believe something, or do something that might not be considered "Christian". Subtle messages, gentle understandings, questionings in my mind led me. The Spirit spoke to me through scripture, teaching me on so many levels.

Basically, Jesus changed my heart. He led me to love Him more and more, deeper and deeper. And you know what? I just stopped caring about all the other stuff. There was no attraction there. Intimacy with Him filled/fills me to overflowing.

A friend said it best, "It's Jesus and nothing". He is everything. He is enough.

I still have an awareness of the feminist perspective and Goddess culture within me. Accepting "God the Father" was a bit of a rocky road. I had a great talk with my Pastor about this when I joined the church. We agreed that God is bigger than a Him or a Her (since of course God is Love - not to mention the Creator of the Universe).

But the Bible emphatically describes God as Father. No if's and's or but's. This has been hard for me. I've prayed about it quite bit, asking for guidance.

The answer that I have gotten is basically this: you don't have to understand this, but don't let it be a stumbling block between us. I am OK with that. I still pray to Jesus, more than "God the Father". And I don't resonate completely with "God the Father". But I am trusting that there is a reason He is called a He in scripture, even if it's not easy for me.

So, what are the qualities of Father? How does God manifest the true nature of fatherhood? And what is my relationship to that?

No comments: